Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lunch with Creative Folk

Today I attended a luncheon comprised of local worship leaders here in the KC area.  We had eight show up, including myself, which is cool considering it's the first one.  It was super cool to hang out, eat together, and chat about ministry.  We talked about everything ranging from what type of instrument we play, to how big our churches are, to what kind of worship planner tool we use. 

This discussion was particularly great for me as I am currently trying to research and find resources like those we discussed.  It was super helpful hearing from other worship leaders what resources have worked for them and their ministries.  It's amazing how utilizing the appropriate available resources will make certain aspects of our jobs go so much smoother. 

The biggest thing that impacted me today were the attitudes that were present - or lack thereof, I should say.  I was definitely the "small fish" of the group - smallest church, fewest resources and gadgets, the only part timer, etc.  I have encountered some worship leaders in the past who thought very highly of themselves and could come across as very arrogant.  Not today.  All of these guys were genuine, friendly, and really wanted to come together as a team of ministers and help each other grow.  It was refreshing.  It was encouraging.  It was exactly as ministry should be.  Everyone recognized that it's not about us.  And while cool lights, soundboards and effects are super cool, it's not all about that.  It's all about Jesus.  It's about doing whatever we can in utilizing our creative gifts (whatever they may be) to glorify God, and lead others to Him.  It was great to rub elbows with them, and I look forward to more!

No comments:

Post a Comment