Monday, February 28, 2011

I am forcing creativity upon myself

So, I am a part of something called the Songwriter's Cafe, which is a branch of http://www.allaboutworship.com/.  It is meant as a resource and network for Christian songwriters.  I've dabbled in songwriting in the past, and I really enjoy it.  I don't think I'm all that terribly good at it, but that is beside the point. 

As a member in this network, I am able to submit a song I write to my peers for their review, thoughts, criticisms, etc.  Tonight I submitted my first song.  It's not the first song I've ever written, but it's the first one that I've put "out there" in order to willfully bring creative judgement upon myself.  I am a little nervous to see what people say about it, but I am super excited at the same time.

In the past I have typically only written songs every now and then.  Interestingly, usually my songwriting ideas hit me when I am staying up WAY too late, and often it is after I have listened to music, or watched a concert on TV.  However, as of this day I have committed to writing at least one new song every month. 

Looking at my time and obligations, one song a month will definitely be a challenge, but it is also very doable.  My hope is that by actually setting time aside on a regular basis I will be able to put more songs together, and hopefully get better as I go along.  In the end, my hope is to submit these songs to varios record labels and see if one wants to pick a song up and publish it.  If so, that'd be cool.  I don't want to be a recording artist (and I am nowhere near talented enough to do so), but if I could write a lyric that blesses someone else, then that'd be great.

Below are the lyrics to my latest song.  I have a super rough recording that I submitted to The Songwriter's Cafe, but I am going to keep that under wraps for now.  Once I am able to make a more proper recording (Scott, you and I need to get together!) then I'll put it on my PureVolume page for you to check out.  In the meantime, hopefully you enjoy the lyrics below.  My hope for this song is that you are able to see and know the grace of our Lord, the grace that none of us deserve, yet He gives so freely and abundantly.

V1
Despite the dirt
Despite the pain
Though I’m unclean
You call again

V2
I ask you when
You tell me now
You take my shame
I’m new somehow

C
In the light of Your holiness
My gold turns to dust
When my faithfulness is counted
My silver turns to rust
When my riches came up short
Your blood it washed my guilt away
And because of your grace
It’s a brand new day

V3
I fall again
But by your grace
You call me to
the Holy Place

V4
Wretched I stand
Destined for death
You fill me with
Your holy breath

B
When the world around me brings me down
When my heart believes the lie I’ve found
You lift the chains that I’ve put on
The grace is here the shame is gone

2 comments:

  1. Awesome bro! I love that you are being intentional about writing! You got skills that are only going to get better as you nurture them! I like this song. Great message about God's grace in light of our human imperfection. I like how you re-wrote verse 3. I am on spring break the week of March 14th if you want to get together and do a little recording. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, bro! And I should note: Scott gets some credit for that verse 3 - thanks for the feedback! Also, you may or may not have noticed, but I revised the chorus a bit as well from the original. When I began putting the arrangement together the original didn't work as well, so this version was born!

    ReplyDelete